Sunday, August 28, 2011

Blog Post #1

Hi there, My name is Rachel Rene' Saucier and I am from Biloxi, Mississippi. With the exception of moving to Mobile in the fall of 2008 to start my freshman year here at south, Biloxi has been my one and only home. I love Biloxi very much so, but do have dreams of one day living in a big city. Another dream of mine is to one day be an elementary teacher in a special education program. My mom is who I hold responsible for inspiring me to pursue my career in education, she is an amazing woman with a heart bigger then Texas who has made a wonderful teacher.

I am a member of Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity and have been for the past three years. Being an AOII is something that I will always take pride in and keep close to my heart. I am also a member of the Shed BBQ Crew. I have worked at the Shed here in Mobile since the day the doors opened. I love my job and have become great friends with many of the people I work with.

After three years Mobile is now starting to feel more like home. One of my main reasons for coming to south is the fact that it only takes me an hour or so to make a trip home. I am supper close to my family and at eight-teen I was not exactly ready to be hours away from home. I have grown in many ways since first starting here at south and have enjoyed the experience. Every semester is a new chapter I am excited to see how this semester goes!




Randy Pausch on Time Management

I really enjoyed this video on time management, mostly because I am for sure an ultimate procrastinator. I think that this video was a great way to start off this semester. I know, I myself have felt more than a little overwhelmed with this class and all of the new learning techniques that we are being introduced to. In Mr. Pausch video he speaks about how it is not always about getting something done perfectly but about getting started and doing it well. This is something that I will have to keep reminding myself throughout the semester. I am guilty of over thinking assignments and trying to decided what is the exact way I should go about completing the assignment and taking days at a time to even start. I must also remember that you can not go and make changes to something or fix it if you do not ever start! For something that seems so simple, it is funny how often I loose sight of this. Another tip that Mr. Pausch spoke of in this video that I enjoyed was the to do list. I am a big fan and often use many to do list. When speaking of the to do list Mr. Pausch say's that you should always start with the most dreadful item on your list, however I believe I have been making the mistake of doing the exact opposite. Now after listing to Mr. Pausch speak about the to do list and why you would want to get the less interesting task out of the way it makes so much more since to me to why many times my list is not completed. I do believe that this video and the tips that I have taken from Mr. Pausch will come in very handy throughout this semester!

3 comments:

  1. The Shed. Great BBQ!

    Do you know anything about Dr. Pausch other than what was in the video you watched. Did you search for him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel! It seems we have a few things in common. i also love my job and the people I work with. I have grown very close to them as well. I can say I am jealous because I have yet to become involved in the school. I am glad you like it in Alabama! Good luck to you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Strange, I had not looked much into Dr. Pausch until yesterday after reading your comment. I have now watched a few videos I found after googling him. Dr. Pausch story is one that really touches your heart. I found myself really interested in his video the last lecture achieving your childhood dreams.

    ReplyDelete