Monday, August 29, 2011

Blog Post 2

                                     


Video #1
Did you Know

I found this video to be extremely interesting and full of information that I was unaware of. Watching this video at times I felt like I should be far more educated in technology and how it is being used around the world then I currently am. I found the facts stated about China and India to be remarkably interesting. I believe that my generation takes for granted all the forms of communication that have sitting at our finger tips. The fact that each day there are more text messages sent then there are people living on the planet earth blows my mind.

I was put back by the fact that the information a student learns in the first year of a four year program is already out dated by there third year. I can understand how this is possible with the rate technology is being produced, but as a student this was not something that I was happy to learn about. I also found it very interesting to see that one out of eight married couples have met online.

Video #2
Mr. Winkles Wakes

When this video first started and Mr. Winkle was in the office my first thoughts where of my grandparents generation. No, my grandparents are not a hundred years old but when they where are age they had very little technology available to them as we do now. I know that this may not be the case for everyone but I personal can say that my grandparents are not very familiar with today's modern technology. The existent of technology that my grandparents are familiar with is a cell phone, and that was really going the distance for them.

I believe this video gave a very creative way of students to understand how far technology has gone in the past hundred years. It also showed that though there has been so many advances in technology there is still places that the old school methods are being used. In this video it also shows that many offices and large corporations such as hospitals are doing wonderful things with technology everyday, but what about the school systems. Are they being given accesses to the latest technology to help enhance the educations systems?




Video #3
Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity

When I first saw the length of this video I honestly did not think I would enjoy it, but I will say that I was wrong. Sir Ken Robinson sends out an important information in a tactful and humorous way. I agree with Sir Ken Robinson when he says that "All children are born artist, we teach them out of it.

Students today are taught to focus on lectures, papers, test, and homework assignments. Sir Ken Robinson is not lying when saying that arts and dance are put at the bottom of the list in class rooms. One of my favorite thing that was talked about in this video was also told to me by one of my math professors this past semesters. Young children are not frightened at the fact of being wrong. Children are eager to learn and are willing to take risk. As we get older we loose this ability to throw our selves out there and take the chance of being wrong. I know that this is something that I am personal guilty of. Creativity is such a valuable tool we as future educators should be doing everything possible to keep creativity instilled in the children of our future.

Video #4
Cecelia Gault Interviews Sir Ken Robinson

I believe for students to get the best education possible the educator must have a passion for what they are doing. If you plan to be a teacher but do not have a love for children and a passion for helping them grow into the best student possible then you are only hurting the students. I believe the creativity and enthusiasm to learn all begins with the teacher.

Video #5
Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

I wish I had been lucky enough to have had Vicki Davis as my teacher when I was going through school. I find what she is doing in her class room to be wonderful. She is giving the children in her class room an upper hand in learning by allowing them to learn outside of pen and paper.

In the End of this video Vicki Davis says that she is turning school upside down and she truly is. I only wish that when I was the age of her students I had the access to the technology they are using in her class. At the age of 21 I am just now becoming familiar with some of the same tools that the children in her class are using. I can honestly say that I feel like my schooling is being turned upside down. In just these two weeks in EDM310 I have learned that there is so much more technology out there that I had no clue even existed. I find it wonderful that teachers like Ms. Davis is letting her students know what is out there and how to use it.

1 comment:

  1. "When I first saw the length of this video I honestly did not think I would enjoy it," Why do students today have such short attention spans. So short than an 18 minute video telegraphs that it will not be liked?

    How do we encourage creativity?

    " I can honestly say that I feel like my schooling is being turned upside down. In just these two weeks in EDM310 " Good!

    "I have learned that there is so much more technology out there that I had no clue even existed. " And we have just started!

    ReplyDelete